North of Laguna Beach in Southern California, a popular camping site evolved in the 1920’s into a tent community and then a cluster of cottages on the slope above the beach. The land was owned by the Irvine Company and the cottage owners paid monthly rent for the land. Because the ownership was tenuous, the cottages always retained their casual look. Plumbing was especially iffy. Winter waves breaking on the beach shook the walls of the flimsy shacks.